How to Install Mods
Note: Print this out and follow it as you install things. It is written in easy to understand wording, and as simplified as possible. It only looks long and scary.
1.Download these two files:
Fate Mod Manager:
Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0:
2. Unzip and install .NET 2.0
3. Unzip the ModMan and run the .exe so it installs.
4. Put the mod manager file into the game files.
The easiest way to find the game folder is to right click on the FATE icon, select "Properties" and click on "Find Target". That will take you to the game’s folder with all the individual files. This is where you put the file that holds the mod manager. It helps to make a shortcut to that file page, because you’ll be using it a lot while you do this.
To easily move the folder from one place to another, press and hold your left mouse button on the folder. Keep holding as you slide the folder onto your desktop. Release the folder, go back and close the Mod Man folder. Then move the file into the main game folder using the same press and hold method.
Make sure you don’t have the files nested. Nesting is when you have a folder with the same name inside another folder. You can’t have a yellow mod manager file inside another yellow mod manager file. If you need to, open the mod man file on your desk top take out the second mod man file and place it into the game. This same rule applies to any mods you install.
You should have three things in the ModMan file now, the grey mod manager icon, the read me file and the MODS folder.
5. Take the MODS file out of the Mod manager file and place it in the games folder. Make sure it’s not nested either. When you look inside you should see three files named Living Lake, Sledge Bandits, and Terrier. Those are small mods.
6. Open the Mod Manager and make a back up of the game before going any further. Click on the grey icon in the ModMan folder. It should open up into a grey screen with various boxes and buttons. At the bottom of the manager, on the LEFT there is a box that says, Backup All. Click on it. Wait a while until it all backs up. It will take a few minute, so don’t worry when nothing happens, unless it lasts more than 5 minutes.
7. When it’s done backup, go up to the part that says available mods, and click on that. A list of all the files inside the MODS folder should be in there (If it is empty, click on "refresh list").
7a. Pick Living lake, and click on apply Mod. After a minute, you should see the Living Lake come up in the list that says Current Mods.
7b. Now do the same with Sledge Bandits and Terrier, since we know those three work.
(Don’t backup anything. You only want a back up of the game without ANY mods right now. Backups are for when the game goes screwy because you installed a bad mod.)
8. At this point, you have installed all three mods that came with the manager. You need to go back to the game and play it for a while, take it into the dungeon and back up to town. If nothing crashes, you are ready to install another mod. Just remember to INSTALL THEM ONE AT A TIME and play the game after each installation. This is necessary because not all mods work on all computers, and if you get a bad mod, you will know it right away, and you will know which mod it is.
You may install any mods you wish, and as many as you wish. The only mod that has any order restriction is the Silly Mod, which must come before the Deep Delver. If you are not using either of those, the order does not matter.
Enjoy your new game!